50,000 words. One month. NaNoWriMo.
Have you ever wanted to write a novel but weren’t sure how to get started? Have you ever been so overwhelmed by the thought of writing a novel that you don’t start? Do you have ideas floating around in your head, but you’re not sure how to piece them together?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then NaNoWriMo is for you!
Can we accumulate 5 million words?
Even if you’re worried that you’ll never get to 50,000 words, we still want you to participate! We’re aiming for 5 million collective words written within the #MuncieNaNo community so every word counts!
- At 1 million words, Prof. Silas Hansen will sing “9-to-5” in 125 Robert Bell.
- At 2 million words, Dr. Ben Bascom will get a tattoo.
- At 3 million words, the English Department will host free breakfast in Robert Bell for students taking English classes/English majors and minors.
- At 4 million words, [insert your awesome stunt idea here].
- At 5 million words, [insert your awesome stunt idea here].
So what is NaNoWriMo?
National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is an annual, global event in which participants attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days during November. Ball State’s English department is partnering with Dr. Angela Cox, the Ball State community (students, faculty, staff, anybody) and the Muncie Community to write write write during November, and we are challenging you to join us.
How can you join us?
- Create a NaNoWriMo account so we can track your progress on our leaderboard.
- To be on the leaderboard, we need your widget.
- After you sign in and choose the “Indiana Elsewhere” region, go to this page
- Then scroll down to the “Graph” option and send your code <everything inside and including these angle brackets>
- Send that little line of code to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In order for your words to “count” toward our Big Goal, you’ve got to be on the leaderboard.
- Follow @MuncieNaNo on Twitter for information
- Join our Muncie NaNoWriMo Community Facebook Group for support, accountability, and feedback from the community
- Attend our interest meeting on October 27 in RB 361 at 4 p.m. in which Professor Cathy Day will present on pre-writing strategies for novel writers, and there will be food!
Come to our Write-ins!
When you’re ready to write, join us for four “write-in” events where you can work on your NaNoWriMo novel with kindred spirits. These events are free and open to the public–Ball State AND Muncie.
Research shows that participation in in even one “write-in” event significantly improves participants’ word counts!
- November 3, 4pm, Robert Bell 361
- November 10, 4pm, Robert Bell 361
- November 17, 4pm, Robert Bell 361
- November 30, 4pm, Robert Bell 361
Get ready to write with us!
See you on Oct. 27th in RB 361 at 4 PM.